Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Champs!


Here is a gem from the past!

The Nathan Hale "Pirates" were football Co-Champs in1951. Four of us eighth graders( Russ Wagoner, Bob Speweik, Bernie Solomon and I) and two seventh graders( George Kegg and Bill Black)  went on to be on DeVilbiss's undefeated City Championship Teams "53 through '55 ('54 through '56 for George and Bill).  All of us, except Bill, were from Bancroft Hills Grade School and lived within about a two block radius of each other. Russ and I were Co-Captains(he the line and I the backfield) at Nathan Hale and later made All-City at DeVilbiss.  Notice the last one in the middle row.  Carty was our quarterback and is now your Mayor! Bernie, isn't the first one in the middle row your dad? Our coach, Norb Larzelere,worked the midnight shift at the railroad and coached us in the afternoons. George Kegg's and Pete Sawicki's dads were assistant coaches.

If it hadn't been a rainy day in Charlotte last weekend, which caused me to clean the attic, I probably wouldn't have found the picture. It makes me want to clean it more often. Enjoy.

-- Jim Gallagher '56, JGallag891@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment